Go on a Treasure Hunt
Did you ever go on a treasure hunt as a child? Maybe you looked for clues to lead you to each place, or perhaps you had a hand-drawn map with instructions like “take 3 steps right” and “hop forward 5 times”.
Regardless of the method, the excitement was high and eyes were wide, looking for clues and following instructions. It was thrilling and when you finally reached the prize, you maybe screamed and jumped up and down telling the entire world what you found, or perhaps you simply sank to your knees and hugged the treasure close.
Then you grew up. Scribbled-out maps and childish trinkets no longer held appeal. Treasure hunts became a thing of the past, a childhood memory to smile at and perhaps a whispered thank-you to the parent who thrilled your childish heart with those treasure hunts.
But. Adulting is hard and stressful. Sometimes you just want to grab your pillow, build a blanket fort and curl up inside to get away from the drudgery of life.
So I’m issuing a challenge to you today. Go on a Treasure Hunt!
I’m not going to give you a map, or a particular set of instructions. Instead, I’m asking you to keep your eyes wide, your ears perked, and your heart open.
I’ll give you a few clues on where to find your treasures:
- Rise early and look to the rising sun.
- Listen for bird song, childish laughter, and whispered endearments from one you love
- Delight in the hugs of those you love
- Revel in the goodness of a sweet treat
- Dig out a cd that you loved listening too as a child or teen and dance to it
- Shut your eyes and listen to the sounds of summer
- Lift a flower to your nose and smell it
- Jump in the fall leaves
- Marvel at the way snow makes the entire world look new
- Go barefoot in the early spring
Seek out your treasures and store them up like a greedy miser. Are you following along? Do you know what the treasures you are hunting are?
Moments. Beautiful, moments that will become memories to treasure if you only let them.
So what are you waiting for? Go on a treasure hunt and look for the moments that make life beautiful!